Based on a commitment to student learning, as well as social, personal, and ethical development, our mission evolves from that of the University. We foster student success, engagement, and well-being through the following:
- Programs, focused on students’ developmental needs, which maximize students’ potential to benefit from the UVic academic experience.
- Individual and group counselling that attends to student challenges, transitions, and opportunities.
- Consultative services to members of the University community that foster the intellectual, social and emotional development of students.
- Training mentorship for staff, student leaders, practicum counsellors, peer helpers, and others in the University community.
- Crisis intervention and emergency response through cooperative arrangements with other community resources.
- Research and evaluation to improve the effectiveness of student success programs and initiatives.
We respect the dignity and worth of all individuals and embrace human diversity within a warm, accepting, and confidential environment.
Counsellors provide a confidential atmosphere in which students can explore any topic or situation and discuss any concerns they may have. Students are helped to work through their problems, to develop self awareness, and to overcome problems by using new strategies.
The UVic Learning Skills Program, housed within Counselling Services, assists UVic students in the development and practice of efficient study techniques, effective learning methods, and high-level thinking skills that are important for success
in university. We also provide consultation for faculty with regard to issues of learning and student success.
We provide many services to UVic students who have questions or concerns about picking a major or deciding what they want to do for a career after graduation. We can help you with your career development planning.
The Counselling Services is the home of The Peer Helping Program.