September/January Learning Skills Course
A few weeks into the September and January terms we offer a learning skills course that fits into your busy schedule. This course is designed to meet the immediate studying and learning needs of UVic students.
Instruction and practice are provided in a wide range of topics with emphasis upon learning about studying and learning techniques, and how to make direct application to current courses.
- Time Management and Self-control
- What's Important to Learn?
- Active Learning with Notes and Study Cards
- Reading Effectively and Efficiently
- Organizing Information and Concept Mapping
- Successful Assignments (Problem Solving and Essays)
- Preparing for and Writing Exams
- Cooperative Learning (study groups)
- Writing Essays and Reports
- Problem Solving (for math, science and engineering)
- and much more!
View and print a sample copy of the course syllabus.
Comments from our students:
- "The best money I've spent on school. Now I study smarter. Thanks!"
- "The study skills course helped me to master skills applicable to most of my courses."
- "The modules on exam preparation and exam writing were great!"
- "Learning how to be an active learner and to set high standards for myself were important parts [of the course]."
Class Schedules for January 2013
Classes are scheduled using the normal university time schedule.
The next set of classes will start in January 2013
January 2013 Sequence:
Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday Classes
January 22 - February 15
9:30am - 10:20am
Registration begins January 3, 2013. Please register at Counselling Services in University Centre 2nd Floor, Room B270, or call 250-721-8341 for more information.
- Fee: $50 (cash or cheque)
Learning Skills Workshop Series New
Frustrated that your grades are not reflecting your study efforts? Tired of mismanaging your time and procrastinating?
Come to one, a few or all of the Learning Skills workshops to help you achieve your academic goals.
#1: Motivation & Time Management
#2: Goal Setting & Academic Stress Management
#3: Exam Prep & Writing (Part 1)
#4: Reading & Concentration
#5: Organizing Information & Note Taking
#6: Exam Prep & Writing (Part 2)
Check Events section of this website for more details.
University Learning Skills Course
This two-week intensive course, involving skill development and practice, is for university- or college-bound students who want to make the most of their courses by improving their skills in:
- Advance learning techniques
- Effective strategies for reading and learning
- Library research
- Methods of note-taking and how to study from notes
- Generating and organizing ideas for essays and presentations
- Time management and planning for success in post-secondary education
- Preparing for and writing examinations
- Academic uses of Internet resources
- Offered through Continuing Studies, this two-week (ten half-days) course begins in late August. This popular course is an excellent way for a new or returning university student to orient to the UVic Campus and to get a head start to studying and learning at university.
30 hours of instruction and practice are provided in a wide range of learning topics as well as use of the University library. For example, participants learn about advanced reading techniques, note-making methods, essay writing strategies, exam preparation tips, and how to work cooperatively within a study group. Students practice their learned skills in a mock mini-course.
- "A great beginning to university. I was able to learn useful skills and increase my self-confidence."
- "Take it."
- "This should be a required course for all new students."
- "On the first day of the regular term I felt organized and prepared."
- "I'm glad my parents talked me into taking it."
- "Meeting other similar students helped me to feel a part of UVic."
- "Other international students would benefit from this introduction to university study."
Classes are 3 hours per day for 10 days.
2013 dates will be available in June 2013.
Last year the course ran- August 20, 2012 - August 31, 2012
Section ASLS104 2012K C01 - Monday to Friday 9:00am - 12:00pm
Section ASLS104 2012K C02 - Monday to Friday 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Section ASLS104 2012K C03 - Monday to Friday 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Fee is $120 (plus $14.40 HST) - 2012 rates
You can register by phone 250-472-4747.
You can register by website http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/career-skills/courses
Check University Skills Flyer 2012
You can register in person at the Continuing Studies Building, 8:30am - 4:30pm, weekdays.
Page last updated: December 2012