Professional counsellors provide short-term individual counselling and psychotherapy for registered students who find that problems are interfering with their performance or well-being. Counselling and psychotherapy focus on guiding and assisting students
in understanding their issues and in taking actions. Individual counselling and psychotherapy sessions are confidential and free to registered UVic students.
Common issues include, but are not limited to:
- Anxiety and Stress
- Relationship difficulties
- Health and Wellness
- Loss and Grief
- Compulsive behavior
- Panic attacks
- Learning difficulties
- Drug or alcohol problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Career direction
- Self-awareness and values
- Academic performance
- Time management
- Transition and adjustment
Types of Individual Appointments
- Regular individual appointments
- The standard session for individual counselling and psychotherapy is a 30-50 minute appointment. This type of appointment is scheduled in advance. Call us at 250-721-8341 if you will be late as regular appointments are only held for 10 minutes, and will be given to students who are presently waiting.
- If you are comfortable with your counsellor, it is recommended to continue with the same counsellor rather than seeing different counsellors on staff. You will likely make better progress this way, however, you also have the right to choose a different counsellor if you think you do not have a good match.
Each day 30-minute sessions are available for urgent, emergency appointments. These sessions can only be booked on that day, on a first come, first serve basis. Show up at Counselling Services or call 250-721-8341 at 8:30 am.
During busy periods, check-in appointments are available for new clients. These are 15-20 minute sessions, where a counsellor will do a brief check-in and refer you to another counselling appointment or another service.
Sessions may be available if formerly scheduled clients either cancel or fail to show within a 10 minute period of the scheduled time.
- Emergency appointments
Sometimes students have a concern that requires immediate attention, and discover that all regular or drop-in appointments are taken. Students in a crisis can request an emergency appointment.
- Counsellors consult with members of the university community.
How to make an appointment
Students can make an appointment in person or by telephone.
During Normal University Hours (Monday-Friday; 8:30am-4:30pm)
- Come in person to the Counselling Services, University Centre, or call the Counselling Services, 250-721-8341, and speak with the receptionist.
- Regular appointments often require waiting one or more weeks.
- Urgent appointment slots generally are filled early in the day. Please call early.
- If your concern is urgent or an emergency, please inform the receptionist.
During Non-normal University Hours (Evenings and weekends)
- In an emergency, please contact Campus Security Services 250-721-7599.
- Telephone help is available through the Vancouver Island Crisis Line 1-888-494-3888.
Cancellation of appointment
We appreciate receiving a phone call, if you are unable to attend. Call 250-721-8341.
Fail to show
As appointments are in such high demand, if you fail to show, your sessions may be limited.
Counselling Services is located on the second floor of the University Centre. Please contact Counselling Services for more information, or visit our staff pages.